The 125-Year History of the
historisches museum frankfurt
The first concept for a historical museum in Frankfurt is published.
Frankfurt is occupied by Prussia and loses its "Free City" status.
The civil democrats apply to the city council assembly for the establishment of a municipal museum. The request is granted.
The "Verein für das Historisches Museum" ("Society for the Historical Museum") is founded.
1878, 13 June
Under director Otto Cornill, the Historisches Museum is dedicated as the "Gedächtnis der Bürgerstadt" ("Memory of the Civil Town").
1878, 16 June
The Historisches Museum opens for the first time.
The collection comprises 6.560 objects.
The museum obtains additional exhibition space in the neighbouring Leinwandhaus.
Bernhard Müller is appointed director, following the short period of director Otto Laufer, who became founding director of the Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte.
The collection comprises some 100.000 objects.
In deliberate dissociation from the "New Frankfurt", the museum is declared a folkloristic local history museum with a focus on the town until 1866.
Death of museum director Müller. The post remains vacant for the time being.
The directorship of the Historisches Museum is entrusted to Adolf Feulner, director of the Kunstgewerbemuseum.
The museum is renamed "Stadtgeschichtliches Museum" ("City History Museum")
The museum's pre-historical and early historical holdings are transferred to the newly opened "Museum für heimische Vor- und Frühgeschichte".
Ernstotto Graf zu Solms-Laubach is appointed new museum director.
Preparations are undertaken for an exhibition of a "Blut- und Bodengeschichte" (the Nazi view of local History), the realization of which is prevented by World War II.
A large proportion of the collections is placed in storage outside the museum for safekeeping.
The museum building is destroyed by Allied bombing.
Gerhard Bott is appointed director of the institution now once again called the Historisches Museum. Conceptually, the museum returns to its pre-1933 local-history orientation.
Hans Stubenvoll is appointed director of the Historisches Museum. He reorganizes it to serve as an educational institution and devotes a department to the history of Frankfurt in the twentieth century.
The new exposed concrete building in Saalgasse 19 is constructed.
The Historisches Museum opens the first children's museum in West Germany.
The new permanent exhibitions ("Historical Documentation") are opened and trigger heated discussions in Frankfurt while attracting attention Europe-wide.
Rainer Koch is appointed director of the Historisches Museum.
Jan Gerchow is appointed director of the historisches museum. The preparations for reorganization as a city museum of the twenty-first century get underway.
The collection comprises 605.000 objects.