Collectors and Donors of Frankfurt
The Faience Collection of Manufacturer Wilhelm Kratz
In the historisches museum's new permanent exhibition "Collectors and Donors of Frankfurt" one of the twelve ensembles, which are presented, comes from faience collector Wilhelm Kratz.
In 1952, the city of Frankfurt purchased for its historisches museum the most comprehensive collection of precious faiences, comprising eight hundred objects primarily of Frankfurt and Hanau provenance. Johanna Kratz, widow of the manufacturer Wilhelm Kratz of Kronberg who had died in 1945, sold it to the town. For decades, the passionate collector had assembled examples of this exceptional material with great connoisseurship.
Yet with his infatuation he was not alone: in the period around 1910, there was an entire community of faience experts and admirers in Frankfurt. The second large collection – consisting of objects from the Frankfurter Fayence-Manufaktur of 1666 to 1772 – was that belonging to the historisches museum until 1944. The great majority of those holdings were unfortunately destroyed during the war. The Kratz collection is now presented in its overwhelming abundance for the first time.