Construction and the Move – December 2010
Now or Never!
If you've always wanted to visit the permanent exhibitions of the historisches museum but have never gotten around to it, now's the time: the permanent exhibitions will be closing their doors for good at 6:00 pm on 2 January 2011 – only the current special exhibition "Abisag Tüllmann" will be open until March.
The impressive objects dating from Late Medieval Frankfurt, the "MainMetropolis 1866-2001" and "From Foreigners to Frankfurters" will no longer be on view from 3 January 2011 onwards. Many of the objects and legends in our popular permanent exhibitions will not be presented again until 2015, within the concept to be staged in the new museum building on the Römerberg following its completion.
The model of the Old Town – one of the museum's core objects – will likewise no longer be on display after 2 January. We will be showing it again soon, however, within the framework of an accompanying exhibition at the customer service centre of the Frankfurter Sparkasse 1822 from May to September 2011. Starting in the spring of 2012, it will then move into the freshly restored old museum buildings along with the "Bibliothek der Alten", an art project by Sigrid Sigurdson. The lapidarium in the museum's outdoor display cases, on the other hand, will remain on view until approximately mid-March, since the Baroque stone figures will be left in place until shortly before the building's demolition.