Collectors and Donors of Frankfurt
The Coin Collection of Anton Philipp Glock (1696–1721) and the art cabinet of Catharina Elisabeth von Barckhaus (1696–1749)
The historisches museum's Coin Collection has its origins in 1749, the year of Goethe's birth. In that year, Elisabeth Katharina von Barckhaus, widow of Anton Philipp Glock, donated her deceased husband's coin collection to Frankfurt's municipal library. The syndic Glock had amassed 3,296 Greek and Roman coins, which were accompanied by a legacy of 1,000 guilders for the collection's maintenance. This generosity came to serve as an example. With the help of further donation funds, a collection of coronation medals could soon be purchased. Today the holdings of coins, medals and decorations of Frankfurt are virtually complete, and form part of one of the world's most prominent collections of German coins.
Following the death of Elisabeth Katharina von Barckhaus and her second husband, the couples' cabinet of art and curiosities likewise passed into the possession of the city library. It contained precious hand-crafted objects. The cabinet is the only example of this royal collection and presentation form in Frankfurt, traditionally a town of the bourgeoisie.
The Coin Collection and Art Cabinet are among the collections featured in the new exhibition "Collectors and Donors of Frankfurt".