The collection of Carl Theodor von Dalberg
Founding of the “Frankfurt Museum”
The 15th- and 16th- century panel paintings purchased from churches by Carl Theodor von Dalberg, prince-primate of the Confederation of the Rhine, created the basis for the Museum Society founded by citizens in 1808.However, Dalberg did not leave it at that, but also donated numerous works by contemporary artists from Frankfurt, such as Christian Georg Schütz d.J., Anton Radl, Johann Philipp Ulbricht and Ursula Magdalena Reinheimer. This created impressive suspense over four centuries of Frankfurt painting.
Dalberg’s reforms in the Grand Duchy of Frankfurt were also aimed at promoting fine art. Initiated by legation councillor Nikolaus Vogt and various Frankfurt artists, the “Frankfurt Museum” was founded in 1808, to which Dalber not only donated the paintings from secularised Frankfurt churches and monasteries, but also numerous works acquired by him or on commission by contemporary artists from Frankfurt, such as Christian Georg Schütz d.J., Anton Radl, Johann Philipp Ulbricht and Ursula Magdalena Reinheimer. Events at the newly founded museum, such as concerts, talks and art presentations, were aimed at extensively educating citizens.
The Annenaltar is an extraordinary piece from the Dalberg collection which can now be seen in its entirety for the first time in over 200 years. There are also other works which have long not been exhibited, such as the large-format “Jüngste Gericht” from the 1630s assigned to Philipp Uffenback, Joseph Nikolaus Peroux’s “Tod des Königs Günther von Schwarzburg und seine Versöhnung mit seinem Gegner Carl IV.” from 1808, Christian Georg Schütz des Jüngeren’s “Ansicht des Brünhildenstein auf dem Feldberg” from 1810 or Joseph Chabord’s “Selbstbildnis mit der Büste des Großherzogs von Frankfurt, Carl Dalberg” from 1810.