Collection – Musical instruments
During the first decade of the 21st century, the collection was complimented by a few excellent keyboard instruments. The harpsichord of Frankfurt composer and Hindemith pupil Bernhard Heiden (1910-2000) ended up in the collection of the Historisches Museum in 2011 as an endowment from private ownership. The instrument, which was built in the Bamberg workshop J. C. Neupert, belongs to the “VC 2” range – only 24 units were built between 1934 and 1939. The museum received a fortepiano, which was also donated from private ownership and which was built between 1850 and 1860 in the piano factory of Justus Kessler in Frankfurt/Bockenheim. The instrument is typical for the late period of building pianos by hand in the German-speaking world before the modern standard technology – cast iron frame and double repetition action – grew dominant.
A very special instrument was acquired for the varying musical events in the museum, which, since the reopening of the old building in 2012, have taken place in the Leopold-Sonnenmann-Saal. According to a concept designed by prominent Frankfurt architect Ferdinand Kramer, a grand piano with the compact design so characteristic of this era was created in 1927 in the Baldur pianoforte factory in Frankfurt. Only a few instruments were actually built. The Historisches Museum therefore considers itself even more lucky to have one in its inventory.